Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wild!

Wild kitten taming is a favorite pastime.  "Wild" cats are called "Feral".  They haven't had the benefit of human interaction and are extremely fearful and even dangerous.  They can bite and scratch.  These three little monsters were trapped in a backyard.  The homeowner saw then scurrying around and started feeding them.  They are just little babies, maybe 6 weeks old.  The weather here is getting cold now and their chances of survival and likelihood of becoming prey to bigger animals, cars or just the elements are stacked against them.  I wore welding gloves to move them from the carrier to the large kennel in my basement where I do my taming - magic.

Day 1 - they hiss, spat and scurry away from me.  I talk quietly and whoo them with my yummy food and kitten milk.  Revolution is applied to ensure they are mite, flea and tick free.

Day 2 - they hiss and watch me cautiously.  I touch each one briefly on the top of the head and speak reassuringly.  I leave all the lights on and doors open so they can hear the sounds of my home...children, dogs, tv, people etc.

Day 3 - I cautiously stroke each one.  The darkest tabby, purrs quietly and pushes his head into my hand!  EEEEK!  Then I wreck their trust by giving them shots and dewormer...yuck.

Day 4 - I stroke each kitten, rub them under their chins and carefully pick up each one.  They hide their faces in my arm but purr and make eye contact.  I harass them as often as I can now and stop in several times a day to pet them.  New Moon (the boy) purrs as soon as he sees me now...

Day 5 - They play now when I'm in the room and purr as soon as I approach.

I bet in another week they seek the attention and crave affection.  This is crucial to their progress and hope to be able to adopt them into a home one day.  I hope next week to be able to let them roam the room, cage-free.

This is Twilight.  She has beautiful, luxurious fur.  She was the slowest to accept me and purr.

This is New Moon.  He was the first to purr and is playful and funny.  Here he is just hanging out in the kitty hammock.

This is Eclipse.  She is really funny and has super soft fur and striking markings.  She is very attached to her siblings and is usually cuddling Twilight, her sister.


These kittens are some of the lucky ones.  They will be spayed and neutered in the next few weeks and when a bit older and more outgoing they might be ready for homes of their own.  I do love the transformation from scared little, destructo-kittens to adorable, purr monsters!

NB

2 comments:

  1. Lucky! I'm pet sitting some wild childs (9 or 10 weeks) and they're much more fearful. After 4 days I have 2 of the 3 convinced that playing with the cat dancer is pretty cool and all 3 will eat in front of me now. No one will willingly let me touch them and I have a hard time catching them to force some love. Momma is the sweetest, most friendly cat though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I'm feeding a small adult cat in my yard right now and am hoping to trap and rescue it before the winter really sets in. Bless OARS and the work you do!!!

    ReplyDelete