Friday, April 22, 2011

Sweet as Honey


Somedays......I'm just tired. Maybe it's the exceptionally long Wisconsin Winters, the exhausting pace of keeping up in rescue, balancing work/family/life OR I'm just getting old. I think I'm getting older. I used to be able to haul 40lb bags of cat litter up and down the stairs without breaking a sweat, I have to pace myself. And my hands and feet hurt more now and look "older", rougher, tougher. I was tired the day that my veterinary clinic told me about a 10 year old dog that someone had dropped off to be euthanized because they were moving away.

The girls at the clinic must've known I was tired. The prefaced the story with their own attempts to find her a home with clients and their dedication to the dog by having her spayed and getting her medically up-to-date.

I asked for a week or two to make some room (I had a high-energy foster dog at the time who's adoption was pending). I felt guilty for asking for a little time, but I wasn't worried, the dog would be safe.

When I picked "Honey" up from the Vet's office, my heart instantly melted.

She fit right into the family. She bonded with the children, got along with the other pets and endeared herself to Tim and me by being our shadow. She wasn't demanding or needy....just there, waiting....

The kids loved her, of course. And she loved them too. What a beautiful, beautiful soul. I always joked with my rescue friends that my favorite type of foster dog, was a housebroken one. Honey made sure that "Senior" dogs made the top of my list.

Just a few weeks after joining our herd and proving herself to be the perfect dog, a family applied to adopt her.

And today, Honey went home. I think Honey is almost as lucky as the family. I'm still tired, but happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment