Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jack and Jill - coming up the hill

Jack and Jill have slowly been gaining weight and getting more and more affectionate and funny.  Their kennels are open now as they are both eating well and not hiding anymore.  Jack is more openly affectionate and likes to have his belly rubbed.
Jill is more reserved and cautious yet.  Her ears still seem to bother her when touched.  There is a yearning I sense from her though and I think when she starts to trust me more it will be magic.

They are both filling out a bit more and look less gaunt and scary.  They've stopped wolfing down their food and guarding it from one another.  Jill has started to groom herself too, which is a wonderful sign and she's showing affection to her brother.  She looks a little grumpy though...maybe soon, she'll smile.

I have a silly little wish stirring.  I feel a lump in my throat when I think of them separated.  They've been through so much together, probably since birth.  I know these are feelings I'm imposing on them and maybe/probably they'd be fine apart; but that just seems wrong doesn't it?

Jill will have her spay stitches removed this weekend.  I wonder how many litters of kittens she's birthed in her life....5, 6, 10?  I wonder where they all are and if they survived and are safe and loved.  Both Jack and Jill will need booster distemper shots and continued treatment for ear infections and mites.  They had been so neglected for so long there is some extensive build up in their ears, maybe years worth....never again.  If it weren't for the supporters and volunteers in this little rescue, stories like these couldn't be told.  I'm anticipating a fairy tale happy ending for Jack and Jill.  Maybe they'll be ready for adoption in another month or two.  They still need some care and time before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment